Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Install Windows XP from USB

    After trying many tutorials to install XP from USB, I found something that worked. The WinSetupFromUSB tool.  I've tested with Windows XP 32bit SP2 and SP3 and worked fast and easy. Some prerequisites:

  • USB stick >1GB
  • Windows XP CD/DVD or iso
  • WinSetupFromUSB program
Notes:
  1. First I tried with an XP sp3 iso(XP Performance Edition), modified with nLite,  I got an error (missing winnt32...). A trick I've read, if you make modify your iso with nLite, is to NOT remove "Manual Install and Upgrade” under Operating System Options.
  2. It's better to integrate SP3 if you have just sp1 or sp2.  Details, reason and ste by step instructions  here. (the process is called slipstreaming drivers)
   The usage is straight-forward, click-click.., select the source, format the USB device (I used the HP format tool, already integrated with WinSetupFromUSB ), select USB, click Go. The program takes care of making the device bootable, after copying XP files. 
   Change from BIOS to select USB as first device to boot, and you'll get to a grub4dos where you choose XP setup first part. 

Note: I had a problem at the second part. There are 8 options, one default, with the suggestion to choose one that works. For me it was the 4th.

Next, how to get grub (or burg) back in the mbr, after XP installation, to be able to boot the existent Ubuntu also.

No comments:

Post a Comment